Tuesday, February 28, 2006

My Father, the Soldier

Friday, I picked Dad up from the Center alone. Mara was sick and stayed home with Cade. That simple fact made this conversation--any conversation--possible.

Tamara: Dad, how was your day?
Dad: Oh, it was fine, I suppose.
Tamara: That's good. Did you do anything new?
Dad: Nothing new, no, not really. It looks like I'm going back into the military.
Tamara: You're going back into the military?
Dad: Well, I don't know anything for sure, yet, but it's looking that way.
Tamara: Well, what makes you think that?
Dad: Well, you know, when they present you with a new situation, you just have to accept it.
(At this point, I did some back tracking to see if he meant the folks at the Center or the military. Dad frequently confuses pronouns and antecedents, which takes a little extra effort to figure out.)
Tamara: So the Center is going to make you go back to the military?
Dad: No, no. Not the Center. The military.
Tamara: Oh, okay. The military is calling you back to duty.
Dad: Well, I think they might be.
Tamara: Well, Dad, how do you feel about that? Do you feel happy about going back into the military?
Dad: Oh, no. I don't feel happy about it at all!

**Pause. Now I've figured out that he's unhappy about this, I have to come up with a way to help him out of it.

Tamara: Well, Dad, you know...you just turned 60. That birthday party was for you.
Dad: Yeah.
Tamara: I don't think they can make you go back into the military once you've turned 60.
Dad (starting to brighten a bit): I haven't though of it that way.
Tamara: Yeah. So all you have to tell them is that you're 60 now, and they can't make you go back. In fact, I know for sure that they can't even legally ask you back now that you're over 60.
Dad: Well, I feel so much better now!

(A few minutes later)

Dad: Do you know if anyone has heard from Bev?
Tamara: Oh, yeah. Mom told me she arrived home, safe and sound.
Dad: Oh, I've been so worried! (Turning to face me) You're just full of good news, today!
Tamara: Well, Dad. I try. I make it a point to stay current on all the news so I can tell you if there's something you need to know. So you just come ask me anytime you have a question.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home