Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Disease Progression Sneaks Up On Us.

The last several days, even in to last week, Rick has been much more anxious than previously. He has become so shaky that his feet come right off the floor. (This is while sitting.) His arms and hands shake so badly that the glass of water sloshes all over. This doesn't seem to happen anywhere but at home, or with family members. I have been giving him Xanax every morning now for the past week. Sometimes he wakes up this way. I called Dr. Pearce who gave me permission to give him .5 mg of Xanax now instead of just .25 mg. This seems to help.

Today we have planned to have supper with our friend, Cindy English and her son. Cindy was our patient at Dayspring while we worked there. She is still seeing Dr. Pearce and comes down monthly for therapy. Many times we try to get together when she is down.

I told Rick this morning that we were going to see Cindy tonight. I didn't think it sunk in at the time.

I called the Center this afternoon to let them know that I would be picking Rick up about 5 pm today. They told me that Rick was having a bad afternoon. I spoke with Sabrina, the nurse, who told me that she gave him an extra Xanax .25 mg this afternoon. She said he was just sitting down. She got him up and walked with him. That and the Xanax seemed to calm him down.

When I came to pick him up this evening, he seemed ok. But when I told him again that we were going to see Cindy, he didn't seem excited. Usually he shows excitement and interest in seeing old friends. But he didn't seem to take it in.

We got to the restaurant before the others. Rick sat quietly waiting. Not much interest in anything. No comments about anything. When Cindy actually arrived, I don't believe he said much to her. She and I talked throughout the meal. Erin and Patrick talked, but Rick just concentrated on his dinner. When he was done eating, he sat there with his head down and actually went to sleep. I woke him up and tried to get him into the conversation some, but it didn't work.

When it was time to leave, he didn't show much remorse of having to go. Cindy hugged me good bye and then hugged Rick, but he hardly responded.

This is so different from what he has been like. He usually has enjoyed being with others. Even if he didn't say much he at least made eye contact and smiled. He would make short comments that may not have fit, but at least he was trying to enter in. Tonight, he didn't make any effort to enter in to the conversation at all.

This was very hard on Cindy. We haven't seen her now for several months. It is harder when the change is so sudden. We, who are with him all the time, only see the gradual change. It doesn't seem as stark.

After we got in the car, I thought that I should give Cindy this web address. So I wrote it on a napkin I had in the car and then gave it to her. She hugged me and cried. I cried too. It was more than either of us wanted to see.

Thank you, Cindy, for your friendship and your prayers. It is only by the grace of God that we can make it day by day.

Rick went to bed tonight at 8:30 pm. He can't seem to enjoy a TV program anymore. Not even his favorite, Walker, Texas Ranger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home