Tuesday, July 11, 2006

New Developments

This morning, after I got Rick up and dressed and while I was dressing, Rick decided to go for a walk. I didn't know he was gone until I went out to get breakfast ready. I called him and he didn't answer. I thought he was in the living room, where he usually goes while he waits for me to get dressed and get breakfast. But he wasn't there. I checked on the porch, in the garage, in the back yard, the front yard. I called him but he didn't answer. I went up to the road to see if he had walked down the way we usually walk when we walk the neighborhood. I didn't see him. I got the car and drove around the block where we usually walk. No Rick. So I called Cheryl. She came right over. I called 911 and they sent the sheriff over. They were so kind and helpful. They had several cars looking for Rick. They said they were going to get the bloodhounds out to search for him. Erin arrived to take him to work. She went looking. I called Tamara to let her know what was happening. The police asked for a picture of Rick. I went in the house to get one, when I got a call from Cade. He said someone called. A Kathy Whitener. She said she had Rick. He gave me her number to call. What a relief. I gave the number to the sheriff and he called her and directed her to our house. She said she saw him standing on the corner of Hastings Hill Road and Sedge Garden Road (just a block from our house). She called out to him and asked him if he was Rick Coburn. He said yes. So she invited him to get into her car and he did. But she didn't know how to contact us. After several calls to mutual acquaintances, she was able to get someone at home and got Tamara's phone number. We are so thankful that she picked him up.

What an experience. Rick hasn't done this before. He hasn't ever gone anywhere without us. Needless to say, we have ordered a Safe Return bracelet for him. I have put locks on the backyard fence gates and have locked the dead bolt on the front door. Now if he goes out it will just be in the back yard and won't be able to leave the house area. I spent most of the day trying to deal with these issues. Didn't get much work done.

This evening Rick seemed to be pretty good, not anxious or jittery, until it was time to eat. I had leftover goulash, which used to be one of his favorite foods. I lead him to the table and instructed him to sit down. He didn't want to sit. I positioned him in front of the chair and tried to get him to sit down by pushing the chair into his legs. It didn't work. He fought me and kept walking away. I gave him his plate of food and he would eat a bit here and there while standing, but mostly resisted it. Cheryl and Jeremy came over and Cheryl walked with him around the yard and then took him out for a walk on the road. He seemed to be more calm when he came back in. He did sit down at the table with us and Cheryl asked him if now was a good time for him to talk to the family. He started to say things that didn't really line up. I wish I could remember his comments. Cheryl said, And do you feel that we are all against you? He said yes. Then she said, And what did we say was the reason? He couldn't remember. He said, I can't remember all the details. So she reminded him, "We said that you have Alzheimer's Disease that makes you feel like people are against you. But we aren't. He said, yes. Cheryl said, Would you like to hear everyone tell you how much they love you? He barely nodded. So Emma said, I love you Papa. He said, I love you too. I really do. Then I told him I loved him and am trying to take the best care of him I can. Then Cheryl said she loved him and that Jeremy did too. Jeremy said, Yeah, but I'm not going to kiss you. :o) Then Erin came to him and told him she loved him and kissed him. He seemed to calm down a little then.

The girls left and Rick and I turned on the TV. He did sit down and watch the TV for a short time before falling asleep. I let him sit there for a while before putting him to bed.

What a day! I feel wiped out. I am so thankful for my girls. They have helped me so much.

Tamara thinks we need to be looking into nursing homes for him. She said that I needed to be able to work and not have to worry about Rick wondering off, about getting him to eat, etc. I don't know. Rick has been so worried about me putting him some place. I don't want to think about it. But after today and yesterday, I am a little more inclined to think about it. I don't know what to do when I can't get him to eat. Or I can't get him to calm down. I just don't know what to do.

Lord, I believe. Help thou my unbelief!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are good places with trained staff that know how to handle this to ease some of the burden during this trying time. I pray you may find one to assist you in these times.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home