Monday, July 17, 2006

Another Prayer

Prayer for the Acceptance of God’s Will
(By Metropolitan Philaret of Moscow, d. 1867).

O Lord, I know not what to ask of Thee. Thou alone knowest what are my true needs. Thou lovest me more than I myself know how to love. Help me to see my real needs which are concealed from me. I dare not ask either a cross or consolation. I can only wait on Thee. My whole heart is open to Thee. Visit and help me, for Thy great mercy’s sake. Strike me and heal me, cast me down and raise me up. I worship in silence Thy holy will and Thine inscrutable ways. I offer myself as a sacrifice to Thee. I put all my trust in Thee. I have no other desire than to fulfill Thy will. Teach me how to pray. Pray Thou Thyself in me. Amen


I have been feeling so overwhelmed lately, and even though I want to share my feelings on this blog, I often feel unable to express them here.

We had such a nice trip to Vermont and such a nice visit with everyone there. Dad seemed so content, and that's so important to us all at this stage. On the other hand, he had some setbacks that took us by surprise on the trip, as well, so nothing's ever really easy to decipher. But since coming home, we've had some serious events that have knocked the breath out of all of us. It started with the extreme depression Dad exhibited since returning from Vermont, as if home was just anticlimatic to being in his childhood home. Two weeks ago, Dad didn't recognize me when I picked him up from the Center. Last week, Dad walked away and was lost for around an hour. Today, Dad strong-armed Mom, which is the first time she's mentioned any physical bullying from him. She didn't resist and he didn't get any worse, so she didn't actually get hurt. Thank God!

There's just no time between these traumatic events to recover. The progress of Dad's Alzheimer's is catching all of us off guard, even when we knew that Early Onset was the fastest progressing form of the disease. All of this leads us to some very difficult decisions to make. This is a difficult time for all of us, and if any of you readers are the praying kind, we'd all appreciate your prayers. So often, I feel unable to pray and so the words of this prayer have helped me out, especially the last two lines.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks, Tamara, for putting your thoughts down. I appreciate it. The prayer is great. Thanks. I love you.

5:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home