Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Myrtle Beach

We just came back from Myrtle Beach. We went down Sunday and came back today. It was a very good time. This was a test to see how Rick would do away from home. On the whole, he did fine.

We stayed in a 2 bedroom unit at Shore Crest, a Bluegreen Resort. Erin stayed in the second bedroom. The master bedroom had a garden tub, shower and a small room for the toilet. Rick had a little trouble finding his way around the apartment. I had to help him find the bathroom each time.

Rick was content while Erin was with us. We walked up and down the beach 3 times. Once on Sunday afternoon and twice on Monday. I felt like I had to hold his hand to keep him up with us. He wanted to lag behind. He seemed to tire easily. He slept a lot while sitting in the chair under the umbrella. But he does that at home too. When ever he sits down he sleeps.

We went out into the ocean a couple of times Monday. He was very nervous about going in. The waves seemed to make him loose his balance. When he gets nervous he trembles and startles easily. So that is what he seemed to do in the ocean. I had to pull him out past the breakers. After we got out there, he did ok. He swam a little bit but ended up on his back doing the back stroke. I tried to get him to jump over the waves. He couldn't get that concept down. We were holding hands and I would say, "One, two, three, jump." He would say, "OK" but wouldn't jump. He would raise his hands with me while I jumped but he wouldn't jump. One time he did jump with the wave on his own. But couldn't grasp the concept when I was telling him to jump. Once he dove into the wave when I was asking him to jump it. :o) :o) I felt like I needed to be on the lookout for him all the time. I was afraid the wave would knock him down and he wouldn't know how to get himself back up. One time he did get knocked down. Erin and I rushed to him and helped him get up. He didn't seem scared. We didn't stay out too long either time. The second time he stepped on something on the ocean floor. That really scared him. He was trying to reach down to pick it up. His face was filled with terror. We took him in right away. I'm not sure what it was he stepped on. It didn't seem to hurt him.

Erin had to go home Monday night. So Rick and I were alone that night and Tuesday morning. We took the umbrella and chairs down to the beach about 9 am. Went back up to the front desk and asked to have an extension for check out. They gave us until 12 noon. That allowed us to have a nice morning at the beach. We went for a walk up the beach again for about 1/2 hour and then came back to sit in the sun. Well, I sat in the sun. Rick sat under the umbrella, in the shade. I asked him to take a picture of me. He did. Then I asked him to take a picture of the umbrella. He stepped back and then turned the camera away from the umbrella toward a teenage girl who had just stepped behind the next umbrella to have her picture taken by her friend. I'm not sure what Rick was thinking. I'm not even sure if he saw the girl he was pointing the camera at. I called his attention away and he then completed the picture I asked him to take. I will include these pictures in this blog.

Then he sat down again and said, "I think we have done a very good thing." I didn't know what thing he was talking about. I just said, "I'm glad we've done a good thing." and left it at that. Then I noticed that he was crying. I asked him what was the matter. "I heard that they were going to commission people." I asked him, "Commission them for what?" He didn't answer, so I offered, "Commission them to the mission field?" He said, "Yes." I said, "That's a good thing. Why are you crying?" He couldn't seem to answer me. I didn't know what to say or do. I did say, "This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it." plus a few other scriptures like that. He seemed to calm down for awhile. Then I noticed him crying again and saying, "Thank you Jesus. You made it happen." I asked him again why he was crying. He said, "These are tears of joy." Then he seemed to alternate from crying to laughing, while praising the Lord. So I just let him alone. When it was time to pick up the umbrella and pack it he seemed to have forgotten about all of this.

We loaded the things in the car and then went back to take a dip in the pool to get the salt and sand off of us before traveling back to Kernersville. We swam the length of the pool. Rick did a side stroke and was very winded. We rested a little bit and then swam back. Then we sat in the sun to dry a little. The resort had an ice cream social at 1 pm for the guests. It was $2 each. So we went to that before we left to come home. After eating, we went to the bathroom before going to the car. I showed Rick the men's room and I went into the ladies. I heard him come out of his and I was worried what he would do if I wasn't out there. When I got out, he wasn't there. I went back into the room where the ice cream social was and there he was. The lady that was doing the ice cream said he said, "I don't know how to find my wife." He was glad to see me.

We left to come home then. We got home about 6:00 pm. It was a good trip. He slept much of the way again. The last little bit he got very nervous. His legs were shaking pretty hard. Apparently he, again, thought I was going to leave him somewhere. I encouraged him with the fact that he is my husband and I am his wife and that is forever. That I was not going to leave him anywhere. That we are going to live together in our wonderful house that God has provided for us. After awhile he calmed down again. Somehow I just need to get his mind off these things that seem to come to him. That takes time and energy.

Well, we did have a great time at the beach. I am very thankful that we were able to go. We hope to do it again this summer.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

The "commission" thing sounds a lot like his worries about being drafted again. Maybe he meant to say "conscription." He wouldn't have been worried about going to the mission field.

It's interesting that the same fears keep resurfacing: that he might have to go back to war or that he might somehow be separated from you.

We should really look into an identity bracelet.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home