Friday, January 02, 2009

Seizure

Rick had a seizure last night. It was a full blown one. Yesterday morning about 4 am he woke up agitated. He had several of those little episodes. I prayed with him and kept him in the bed and that is all that happened. He finally settled down about 5 am. I didn’t go back to sleep, but he did.

I had been trying to give him his meds at 7 am and 7 pm to keep him on a regular regimen. He was on Dilantin 100 mg bid. So we were having a lat supper after having Christmas with Erin and Robert. I was just finishing up getting dinner ready and had stopped to get Rick’s meds ready. He was standing by my side. I had spoken to him a couple of times telling him I was going to get him something to eat and get his meds.

Then he had the seizure. He sort of doubled over and I was able to grab his arms and lay him down gently on the floor. He seized for about a minute and then fell into the heaving sleep with deep snoring for about 10 minutes. Erin and Robert were here. They helped me get him to bed. They carried him. He would sleep a little bit and then get agitated and kick the covers off. Then he would go back to sleep. This went on for about an hour or so. He finally went to sleep for the night about 9 pm. At 9:30 pm I decided he needed his meds, so I finished mixing these and woke Rick up to give them. He took them without problems and went back to sleep, after a trip to the bathroom. He slept until 4 am. We got up to the bathroom and then he went back to bed. He went on to sleep but I didn’t. I maybe slept 20-30 min just before getting up at 6 am.

I called Dr Pearce today. He said to increase his Dilantin level back up to 3 a day. He said that maybe it will be best to keep his Dilantin level up as long as he doesn’t have the side effects.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home