Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Finally off Dilantin, but now seizures

Rick took his last Dilantin Saturday night 050209. He hasn’t had any indications of seizures. One morning he had a couple of those little jerks that are probably the beginning of a seizure but it didn’t amount to anything. I hardly noticed them.

This morning, after sleeping all night, he had a grad mall seizure. He had gotten up and gone to the bathroom. I washed him up and had gotten his underpants on. He had a little trouble getting them on but he did with my help. We had gone over to his side of the bed to get his clothes on when he started his seizure (6:51am). I was able to lower him gently to the floor. He jerked for about one minute and then slept with deep breathing for a couple of minutes. Then he slept with normal breathing until 7:06 am. Then he woke up trying to get up. He couldn’t get up so I was able to get him comfortable on the floor again. He slept like this waking up off and on trying to get up. Finally I was able to get him in the bed. Again he would sleep and wake up restless, sleep and wake up restless. He finally went to sleep and stayed asleep for a good while. He just got up to the bathroom (9am). He was a little unsure on his feet but we made it there and back again. He has gone back to sleep.

He got up about 11:45 and we got lunch. He ate well and he has been up ever since. I tried to get him to lie back down, but he didn’t stay there.

We went outside for a little bit to look at how the garden and flowers faired in the thunderstorm last night. He did fine, acting his normal. I had to keep calling him back or he would wander away.

3 pm. I think he is back to normal now. I still haven’t heard from Dr Bell. I hope he calls me soon.

9 pm. We came home from church and had a message on the phone. Valerie, Dr. Bell’s nurse called saying she talked to Dr. Bell and he said to increase Rick’s Topamax to 50 mg am and 100 mg pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home