Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Medication issues?

Yesterday afternoon I got a call from Dr Robbins at the VA clinic. Rick had just seen him on 123010. He told me that Rick’s Keppra level was 90 and the normal range is 5-63. He suggested that we might want to cut back on his Keppra some. He even suggested that I leave of his evening dose for last night. I called Valerie at NCBH and left a message for her about this and sent her an email. I was scared to leave it off completely, but did cut out 2 of the 3 pills of 500 mg each.

This morning, Rick slept until 6:30 am and I had to wake him up. After he went to the bathroom, he was very jittery, grabbing tightly. I was afraid he was about to have a seizure. So instead of getting him washed and dressed first, I took him right out to have breakfast and to get him morning medicine in him. After eating breakfast he seemed to be better. I was able to get him dressed and on the bus without difficulty.

This afternoon I got a call back from Valerie. She said that the level are not very reliable. Since he had just taken his med that morning it could have been at peek performance instead of trough. She said that Dr Boggs usually goes by symptoms rather than blood levels. So I told Valerie that he hasn’t been feeding himself very well since Monday before Christmas, 122110, and has been very sleepy, actually falling asleep while eating. She said she would report this to Dr Boggs and get back to me. She said that Dr. Boggs may have left for the day and it may be morning before she is able to talk to her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home