Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Blood Work Drawn

Today Rick was to get blood work done for a Dilantin level. We got up early to get ready to get to the lab and back again before Erin came to take him to the Center. There was a Christian version of Scrooge on TV and at one point Scrooge screamed loudly. Rick wasn’t watching it but heard it. He said, “That is the way I felt.” I couldn’t get anything more out of him about what he was talking about. I did ask him if this was how he felt with his seizure and he said yes.

As we were hurrying to get out of the house, Rick said, “I don’t like this.” Because we were hurrying, I didn’t stop to figure out what he was talking about. When we got into the car he said it again. I asked him what was bothering him. He didn’t answer for a while. Then he said, “You are not listening to me so why should I tell you?” Of course, I said I was listening and that he hasn’t told me anything yet. I told him that I couldn’t help him with anything if he didn’t tell me. He still didn’t respond for a while and then said it again, “You are not listening to me so why should I tell you?” Again I answered saying, “I am listening. You haven’t told me anything yet.” Finally he said, “I just don’t know about Tamara. Why does she want this to happen to me?” I told him that Tamara didn’t want anything bad to happen to him. That she did a wonderful job of taking care of him when he had the seizure. That she has been kind, nurturing and loving. He then agreed saying, “I know.” During this time he was trembling with fear. I reminded him that God was in control and that he wasn’t going to let anything bad happen to him. Then I started having him quote the 23rd Psalm. I would say a line and he would repeat it with me. Sometimes he would actually quote it with me. But then he stopped and wouldn’t complete it because of his fear.

We got to the lab and got out of the car and walked in. Sat down waiting to be seen. He was still trembling but he was calming down. We quoted the 23rd Psalm again and this time he got all the way through it. We repeated the last verse, “Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord forever.” We emphasized Goodness and Mercy were with him.

Before he was called back to get his blood drawn, he was calm and the trembling had stopped. He did fine with getting stuck and he seemed to be fine when he left for the Center.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home