Friday, July 21, 2006

Doctor's Appointment

Rick saw Dr. Pearce yesterday. There was a definite change in his ability to follow Dr Pearce’s instructions throughout the exam.

He didn't do well with Dr Pearce’s eye exams where you follow the pencil with your eyes. He couldn’t seem to remember to follow it. He couldn’t tell how many fingers he holds up. He got fixated on the number 5 and that is what he said, no matter how many fingers were up. He had trouble closing his eyes when Dr. Pearce asked him to. He couldn't add 5+5 or subtract 100-10. He didn't know how many children he had, or grandchildren. Of course, he had no idea about current events. But then, I don't know that either. We haven't watched the news in a long time. He did read well for Dr. Pearce. He read a hymn and read one line at a time without following the verse down to the end. Later, while waiting for the rain to let up so we could go to the car, he told me, “I’m trying hard to let Dr. Pearce… and you, know that I can do....” He never got out what he could do.

Last night at the supper table he talked a long time. He was talking about going to Puerto Rico. He said the tents were all set up and it was ripe. He asked me over and over if I would go with him. I told him that when God worked out all the details that I would be happy to go with him. He was very excited about that. He seemed to be at peace. When Cheryl and Jeremy and Emma got her for supper, Rick went into the living room and sat down in his chair and slept. The TV was on but he didn’t watch much of it. I think I am seeing a pattern that Rick is better when everything is calm and peaceful - no noise or commotion. I need to remember that.

I took him to bed last night about 10:30. He went right to bed without any trouble and slept most of the night. He was awake this morning about 5 am and needed to go to the bathroom. I ended up giving him some more Xanax and he went right back to sleep with very little restlessness. I was glad. Maybe we are on the right track with his medicines. He is completely off the Namenda and Aricept now. He will take his last Navane on Sunday morning. Dr Pearce gave me a prescription for Respirdol but I think I will wait a little bit to see how he does without any med before I start him on it. If last night was an indicator, maybe he will do better without med. We will just have to wait and see.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

I wonder if that Puerto Rico comment is in response to the Belize stuff regarding J & D's send off. I think that was as good of an answer as you could have given him. I'm glad he accepted it.

12:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home