Monday, June 15, 2009

Pool fun!


Saturday we went to the pool for the afternoon. Rick did so very good in the water. He walked down the steps into the water without hesitation and swam around enjoying himself. He actually swam under water a couple of times. I was so surprised.

But then I really messed up. I forgot to give him his medicine Saturday evening. So Sunday morning when he woke up he was not acting himself. His eyes were slits and he was jerking some. He had gone to the bathroom when I remembered that I had forgotten to give his medicine. So I went and got it right away and gave it to him. I gave him the 100 mg of Topamax that he should have gotten the night before, instead of the normal 75 mg he usually gets in the morning. Then I put him back in the bed. He was stiff and didn't move easily. He kept his knees pulled up. I was finally able to get him to lay them to the side still bent up. Then, in a little bit, he went to sleep and slept it off. We didn't make it to Sunday School yesterday because I let him sleep as long as he wanted to. When he woke up he was still a little resistant to my direction but he ate his breakfast fair and we went on to church. He was fine the rest of the day.

I get so mad at myself when I forget to give him his medicine. I'm much better at it than I used to be, but every now and then it still happens.

I was talking to the nurse, Lynn, at the center last week. She says Rick is so much better than he was. He doesn't sleep during the day at all. He is up walking around visiting with the others there. She can talk to him across the room and he responds. He comes to her office trying to tell her something. Lynn says he isn't a typical Alzheimer's patient. She suggested that I ask if there could be a misdiagnosis. Wondered if he should get a CT scan or MRI? I will ask.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home