Friday, January 06, 2006

Joyce's Journal January 6, 2006

Today was a much better day in general.

This morning Rick was teary at the breakfast table. He was trembling all over as though he was cold. I asked him if he was nervous. He said no. But I knew he was. After a little questioning he said, “I’m just missing you.” I said, “Well, I haven’t gone anywhere yet. And I will be right here when you get home tonight.” He said, “Oh, you will? That’s good.” I hugged and kissed him and he seemed much better.

Erin took him to the Center and I was able to get to my work. But I had some excursions planned today. I went to get my hair cut at 10 am which took an hour and then went to a support group meeting with Tamara at 12:15 pm. So I didn’t get a lot of work done this morning.

I asked Tamara if she would pick Rick up for me this afternoon so I could go home after the support group and concentrate on work. She agreed. As it turned out, it was 2:00 before the group disbanded. So I didn’t have much time to work this afternoon. But I feel as though I was able to get enough done to feel productive.

The support group was a good release. Everyone there had someone who had some sort of dementia. They gave us permission to cry and we, Tamara and I both, did. I didn’t so much when I was talking but as I was listening to the others. Just relating I guess. We received information about 2 different meetings for caregivers that I am going to attend. One is “Powerful Tools for Caregivers” which is 6 sessions on Tuesdays Jan 10 – Feb 14, 10:30 to 12:30. Cheryl is going to go with me. We can’t go to the first session because I will be in Houston next week. The other one is “Reaching Out and Helping Someone with Memory Problems: What’s Important!” It is February 23, 2006 and I’m hoping that all the girls will come with me to this one. I am looking forward to being a part of this support group that meets every Friday at noon.

Tamara asked to take me out to dinner tonight, so Cheryl agreed to have Rick over to her house for dinner. Tamara brought Rick home and got me and we took Rick to Cheryl’s. When they got here, Rick seemed to be quite happy and not nervous or anxious. Said he had a good day at the Center. I explained to him that Cheryl had invited him to supper and that Tamara and I were going to have a girl’s night out. He seemed to be fine with it.

Tamara and I went to Red Lobster and had a very nice dinner. We took our time and just talked. I was able to share my feelings and concerns with her. It was a great release. It was 9:30 – 10:00 pm before we got back to Cheryl’s house. Apparently Rick had done very well. Cheryl said he washed her dishes for her. That kept him busy and helped her out too.

When we got there we stood in her kitchen talking for a while. We laughed and Rick laughed with us. I can’t remember what was said but he was joking right along with us. It was a good feeling.

We went home and went to bed. Rick slept most of the night. Woke up about 5:30 and went to the bathroom. Came back to bed and went back to sleep. I didn’t. I lay awake thinking. Finally went back to sleep about 6:30 and slept until 8:00 am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home