Monday, January 23, 2006

Counting my blessings

This morning Rick said, "I wonder when they are going to give me my license back." This is the first he's mentioned driving in quite a while. I told him the doctor said he shouldn't drive. He didn't make any comment.

He seems to be shaky much of the time. I'm not sure if it is an inner tremor from anxiety or what. When I ask him if he is anxious or nervous, he says no.

Basically he is very easy to take care of. He doesn't resist what we want him to do. He comes and goes as we ask him to. When I go to the support group, I hear about other Alzheimer patients who won't sleep, won't go out, and just refuse to do what the caregiver asks them to do. That is when I realize how blessed I am. Even though he wants to be with me all the time and seems to follow me around, he is really easy to care for.

He loves to be in church. He is very comfortable there and doesn't have to be at my side all the time. I have to direct him when it is time to go to Sunday School, or back to the sanctuary, but basically he is comfortable to go talk to the different people at church without me. He knows he is loved and respected there. He seems to be able to talk better to them than to me.

He loves to sing. He still sings on the praise and worship team. And he remembers his words and they come out just fine. He likes to have the words in front of him but if the song is one he has known for years he doesn't need the written words.

I wish he could be at the church with the people every day. That is what I originally wanted when we moved to Kernersville. I wanted him to be involved with the visitation and prayer ministry. But that didn't happen.

I believe that the Senior Center is the next best thing. He goes in there and ministers to the other people there. He believes it is his job and he tries to help the people. There are days he comes home saying he has been able to examine a patient and is very excited about it.

Thank you again for your love and prayers. God is good and faithful and gives strength as needed.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

Easy is a relative term, I guess. ;-) But, it's true. He's still able to be at home, and that's one of the biggest blessings, I think.

I'm glad to hear how he does in church.

Weird that he suddenly asked about his license. Where did he intend to go, I wonder?

10:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home