Saturday, August 26, 2006

Surprising what Rick remembers.

The William Utermohlen self portrait exhibit has been in Winston-Salem this month. He is an artist who developed Alzheimer's Disease. He painted a series of self portraits throughout the course of his disease.

Along with this exhibit there have been 4 lectures on art and Alzheimer's. Tonight was the third one I have attended. I was unable to find someone to stay with Rick tonight so I took him with me. The title of tonight's lecture was "What We Know About Alzheimer's Disease: Lessons From the Great Masters." When we sat down to eat our refreshments, Rick saw the title and said, "Oh, that's just what I need." Throughout the talk he laughed with the jokes and made comments such as, "How about that?"

At the end of the program we went up to talk to the speakers. I wanted to talk to the art teacher that spoke to see what she suggested about getting Rick involved in art. We also got to talk to pshchiatrist who did the first talk. He spoke directly to Rick and asked him questions that Rick tried to answer. I think it was a very nice experience for Rick. Then he saw someone he knew. He said, "There is...." So I asked him who he knew and he pointed to a certain man. We went up to this person and I said, "Rick says he knows you. What is your name. He said his complete name, something Ober. I said, "Dr. Ober?" and he said, "Yes." Then I asked him if he remembered Rick Coburn, PA with Dr. Pearce. And he said he did. I think that is amazing that Rick was able to remember him. He couldn't come up with his name, but he knew him.

Then a lady, Kathryn Brown, came up to us as we were walking out and introduced herself. She told us about an art therapy program that is online that is geared to help Alzheimer's patients. She is trying to get a group going here in the triad. She said to google "delgicconeuroarttherapy" to see if we were interested and then call her. So I think that we might be onto something. I haven't had a chance to look it up yet. But I will soon.

I have enjoyed these lectures. There is one more on Tuesday. I plan to attend. Since Rick did so well with this one, I may take him to the last one.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

I'm glad it went well for you and for Dad. I'm glad he was responsive and positive there with you.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home