Thursday, August 04, 2011

New Home For Rick

 
 
 
 
 
 
Posted by Picasa


Rick moved into Heritage Healthcare of High Point Monday. This has been a stressful week for both of us. I am thankful to have had the help of Cheryl and Tamara with this transition. We have finally gotten his room to feel homey, but he is still getting used to a new place and new people. And they are getting used to him. It has been hard to go there to see him seem so lost. He hasn't seemed to recognize us. It could be due to the time of the day that we have been there. Evenings he is more tired and not as alert and that has been when we've been there.

This morning I was there shortly after 8 am. He was dressed and sitting in the dining room waiting for his breakfast. He was leaning over his knees which is pretty normal. I walked in and called his name and he raised up a little bit to look around. I took him by his hands and helped him stand up. Then he looked at me and smiled. I hugged and kissed him and he hugged me. He actually looked like he knew who I was and was glad to see me. I cried!

I really needed this. I was feeling so badly that he wasn't involved with the people and seemed to be so disoriented. Hopefully things are looking up.

This morning I spoke to the nurse and CNA that are caring for Rick in the mornings. They said they are having a hard time getting him to eat. He keeps his head down near the plate and resists when they try to push it back up. He isn't drinking much either. The nurse said that she gave him an ensure yesterday and he drank it all. That was good.

They say that he is incontinent. I guess that at night they don't get him up in time to get to the bathroom and he dribbles on the way there. The CNA said that she took him to the bathroom twice yesterday morning and he didn't do anything and then about 2pm she took him and he did a very little bit. I guess if he isn't eating and drinking he doesn't have anything to put out. Hopefully this will get better. I have asked for a monitor to go on his bed that will let the night shift know when he is trying to get up.

This has been a very hard transition. I pray that God will ease his confusion and cause the staff to love him.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nana Lois said...

I'm reading these posts backwards. I have watched the progression of adjustment. Just remember that change is hard for all of us and it takes time to get adjusted. For a person with dementia or alzheimers the transition takes much longer. But, as you can see, the improvement is happening. You should be able to really relax and enjoy your vacation! I'm so happy for you to be able to go.

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home