Thursday, August 11, 2011

Peace!

It was a long time before I was able to make the decision to put Rick in a nursing home. My girls wanted me to several years ago, but I just wasn’t ready for it. It was the 1st weekend in June and Tamara and I, along with Rick and Mara, were going to FL for my nephew’s wedding. We were talking and Tamara asked me if I wasn’t ready to place him. All of a sudden I realized it was time. I was then ready for it to happen immediately. But it took 2 months. I have had some guilt feelings, wondering what others would think about me giving up on my care of Rick. But everyone has been so supportive.

I just had my care planning meeting with all the department heads of the nursing home this morning. They asked me about his likes and dislikes. They have put him on a mechanical soft diet, which I totally agree with. They are giving him physical, occupational and speech therapy. They are really working with him to help him improve. I was so impressed. He wasn’t getting that at my home. So now I know he is where he is supposed to be. I came away this morning with a light heart. I called Tamara and she said, “You sound excited Mom. I’m glad you feel that way.” She could hear it in my voice.

So I have now overcome any bad feelings I had about it in the first place. I am very comfortable leaving him there while I go on vacation. He is in very capable hands. As well as in God’s keeping.

I have a schedule of people to come visit Rick daily while I am gone. He won’t be left alone. Thank you everyone for your help. You are a blessing to both Rick and me.

Thank you, Jesus, for working all this out for your honor and glory. We are still trusting You for complete healing. He is going to walk out of the prison he is in, just like Peter, in the Bible, walked out of the prison he was in.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mimi said...

Prayers always. Love and hugs.

5:12 PM  
Blogger Nana Lois said...

I so remember all of the same feelings that you are going through. I also remember how I began to see that there were so many positive things going on for Mom at the nursing home just as you have discovered. That helps a lot when you realize that you have actually done a good thing for him. You are only one person as I was. At the nursing home there is a whole staff of people with all different kinds of skills to meet his needs. You will be so much more rested and able to love on him this way. I support you completely in your decision and I pray for your continued peace and Rick's adjustment to his new surrounding. Much love! Lois

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home